blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

16 Feb 2010

Olympics, Pancakes, part 2

This night I did almost dream about the pancake recipe. However, watching the Olympics cost so much sleep that there was no time to dream. I watched the downhill skiing and the 10km freestyle. The snowboard cross begun at 11pm. That whole event was wrapped up quickly and I fell asleep right after it. A Canadian guy won silver :-) He finished only a metre behind an American, so it was a pity he didn't win the gold medal. 

A little more than 2 hours later the light and TV went on again to watch the 500m speed skating for men. That whole event took a lot longer than planned. It wasn't until 5am that I could go to sleep again. This time for 3 hours. I woke up at 8 for breakfast and a re-run of the pair figure skating. So far so good, I haven't got any problems yet caused by the short nights.

Just before noon I started the make to pancakes following the recipe I mentioned yesterday. The result was very good. The edges where crispy and the colour was golden brown. The egg white does needs to be fluffier, and next time I'll double the amount of syrup. I'll go for version number 3 on Saturday, unless I can't stop myself and find my self mixing the ingredients a couple of days earlier. Next step is find out how much banana I can add and how to mash it so that the batter stays smooth.

Now for those who are just as unfamiliar to cooking as me and like to give it a try, here's my recipe. Make sure to beat the egg white properly and don't be hasty during the baking.

Canadian pancakes
For two 18 centimetre pancakes,
  • 40 grams of flour
  • 3 grams of baking powder
  • 80 millilitre of milk
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 table spoons of syrup
In a small bowl
Mix the flour, baking powder, milk, egg yolk and syrup untill smooth.

In a glass
Beat egg white untill stiff and slowly fold it in to the batter. Don't stir the the batter anymore, just gently fold in the egg white to keep it fluffy.

Bake in a pan, medium heat, with about 5 grams of heated butter.

Based on: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fluffy-Canadian-Pancakes/Detail.aspx
date: 2010-02-15


And to complete this blog post, here's a video. It's a song I was singing whilst pitching a tent in the pouring rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment