blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

14 Nov 2010

Mango maintenance

I get asked quite often what I do when it comes to servicing my Mango. The short answer is: not much. More precise, a tiny bit on a regular basis. I give the primary chain a few drops of oil every 500km. The secondary chain gets some when it doesn't look oily enough. Lubing it is easy. I put the rear end of the Mango on a small support stand, spin the rear wheel backwards, and than I oil the chain. The chain is easily reached when you tilt the seat forwards. Thin racing oil, Morgan Blue in this case, works fine. The whole procedure is a two minute job. I never clean the chain and expect it to last 40,000 kilometre.

Every thousands km or so the front suspensions struts get a few drops of oil. There's a hole in the top of them that makes this an easy thing to do. For this I have a thicker sort of oil. I check the tyre pressure every two weeks, or when I feel like doing that. Depending on the weather, cleaning has to be done as well. Once every few months I wax ('soft' metallic wax, that doesn't scrub!) to body to make it water repellent, just like you'd do with your sports car. Water, car soap and a sponge for the spots that have gotten really dirty. Like I said before, the drive train does not need cleaning. Clean and shiny is what I prefer.

Once a year I lube the pivoting points of the drum brakes.  Before winter really begins, the exposed aluminum parts, wheels and front suspension, get a layer of spray on Vaseline. Sometimes, I listen if  hear something I shouldn't hear. That could indicate that a bolt or nut needs tightening.

How long tyres last is hard to predict. It depends on which tyre you use, your weight, the road surface and your riding style. I corner hards, use racy tyres, but the whole combination of rider and VM weights just over 90kg.

more photo here
videos here
more about Jenease on this blog

9 comments:

  1. Hi Peter,

    Maybe you can help me on this one.
    The old carbon Limit also has p. and secundary chain but on the left (!).
    I guess the chainbox is all closed up and building in a (modified) dualdrive hub will be a hell of a job, if not impossible?
    regards Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mick,
    Strange, I was thinking something similar this morning. A dd hub would solve the problem of the horrible unreachable front dérailleur of the Limit, and allow you to have a 'freewheel gear' like you invented.

    However, the mid drive of a Limit is a custom made part. It looks like this:

    bearing-axle-dérailleur mount-cassette-bearing-2nd chain sprocket. (perhaps room for a 2nd sprocket for bigger range?)

    The bearings are seated in the drive train tunnel sides.

    Mounting a dd hub would require serious modifications to the drive train tunnel.

    I once replaced the cables and cassette of a Limit. That was a hell of a job.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your expertise Peter!

    I never quite understood this 'one-way' thinking the vm.nl crew always stick to in there gearing designs. Apart from the great speed achievements you have to grant them.

    Ofcourse the reason is I'm thinking of buying a second hand C-Alleweder.
    I will look to the possibilities of re-directing the chain through the right site making a hole in the back. Similar as i've done with the FAW. Bringing back everything -at least- to one chain. If the bridge width allows this, to build in the hub there it is!

    It's not that I like to make these thurough changes but my right foot gets anoyed starting in a gearing that is to high..
    Thanksagain!
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite a challenge Mick,

    You'll also need to make a new rear fork and change the rear wheel well, because it's a single side mounted wheel.

    Making a new mount for the mid-drive would be a lot less complicated.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realise the fork is one-sided.
    To put the hub in the midle also requieres a thooth wheel on the hub that I don't have...
    This doesn't encourage me much to go and buy one than!
    Why don't they just make the kind of vm that I'm looking for?!
    regards, Mick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the Mango for several reasons. But I know you don't like that sort of VM. It does has the possibility to use hub gearing.

    May I suggest the A6 from Alligt? Affordable as a kit, with room for your own ideas. Or the A4 if your prefer aluminum.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Peter,
    It's not that I don't like the Mango although the M+ looks the smoothest.
    But indeed 2 chains with teeth neearby don't have my preference. And a big wheel in the back even better.
    Thanks for your advice !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you left or right handed? which hand do you dispense the oil with? and which spin the wheel? Are you on the left or right side of the mango? How do you know when you have given the chain oil on the entire length?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot of good questions Jon. Let me try to answer them in one attempt.

    I'm right handed, I sit on the right side of the Mango, dispense with right, spin with left, I roughly estimate to decide if I've oiled enough. It's not exact science, oil will also spread itself through the chain.

    I only have be careful to not to use to much oil, that would mean spilling oil, and I'm a cheapskate.

    ReplyDelete