blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

23 Nov 2010

Visiting record attempts

Sunday's first 74 kilometre followed a route I know well. After that, I started following a track I made on the website of the 'Fietserbond'. An easy to follow route that led me to roads and paths I'd never seen before. It has some variation is height too, something I don't have in my own region. Nothing steep, high or spectacular, but enough to use a wider range of gears than usual. And, I was overtaken by an Aston Martin Vanquish :-).

These scenic roads brought me to Koudhoorn. A small collection of houses in the woods of 'de Veluwe'.  It was there that I had my first rest after 123km. I enjoyed the silence there and ate a banana. I checked the garage of friends that live there, to come to the conclusion that they'd decided to go for a ride. That was easy to understand, the sun was shining and there was little wind. It did mean that I continued my ride without having had a cup of tea. No problemo, the idea to ride past Koudhoorn came in an impulse.

My GPS guided me to Apeldoorn. There, in the Omnisport velodrome, todays main topic was about to start. I was early and it took a while for fellow recumbent riders to arrive. Some of them would do an attempt to break or set a world record. I'd be there to watch it all happen. I talked a bit with various persons and saw things happening on the track. A chain snapped, attempts failed, high speeds where reached and 1 record was broken.

David set a new world record on the 1000 metre. He did it on his own bike, his M5 CLR. The machine I always see him racing on. The bike with which he got lost in the Nijveen time trial. He fell with it on the Trias track. In Zwolle, he had to quite because of a puncture.  And that's why I like what David did. He set a record on his own trusty ol' CLR. I've seen people try to set a record on a bike they've hardly ever ridden before. Let me just say that I don't think that doing so is a good idea...



What was a good idea, was to leave on time. I was tired and had a minor headache. That did mean that I missed Aurelien's 1 hour. It also meant that the headache went away and because of that, the ride home was good. By the time I left Omnisport it was a quarter to eight. It was dark and I had a 110km or so to go. This is the sort of situation that I really appreciate my IQ-Speed headlight. I also was really glad I was wearing long pants know. The day had started in shorts, and even that was warm at some moments. Now the wind was cold and the temperature low. But, as soon as I left Apeldoorn, the engine started running smooth again. The behaviour of tyres and suspension changes when the temperature drops. And on a day like this, the difference was clear. The ride was rougher.

It was just after midnight when I parked the Mango behind the front door. I grabbed a washcloth and quickly changed in to pyjamas. The vegi macaroni that my mom had kept in the fridge was delicious after 266km, 9:50 hours of riding.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent story, Peter. It is indeed impressive that David's record was set on his normal bike, nice though that is. I like M5s a lot. They're available to anyone, not that everyone goes quite so quickly on them.

    And yes, it's that weather again. Everything's colder, the ride is rougher and slower...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and here I thought it was David Hembrow setting a record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jon
    I'm pretty sure David Hembrow is the worlds fastest recumbent riding willow basket maker.

    ReplyDelete