blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

9 May 2011

Das Evo K

For getting from A to B, German cycle path are far below the Dutch standard. If you want to go fast in a velomobile, you won't be using them much. The main road than is a far better place to ride. Almost every road, not cycle path, I've ridden on during my 540km ride in Germany, had a tarmac surface. A bump here and there, but certainly no brick stones, like here in the Netherlands. Another thing I didn't see, not that I remember, are speed bumps. So to ride comfortably as a cyclist, I needed big wheels and suspension. For a velomobile, raw speed only may have preference.

And this is how I finally understood the Evo models. They may still lack inside chain covers and some other practical items, but as a concept, they should work quite well I think. Practical items can be installed as an upgrade, or will finds it way to the production models soon, I guess.

At Spezi 2011, the 'K' was presented. The first head-out Evo. A good move as transparent canopies fog up and do silly things with light and sight in the dark, especially when it rains. I had a good look at it. Sadly though, I didn't had the chance for a mini test ride. But even so, I can say a couple of things about it.

It looks fabulous! The interior finishing is very basic, but of high quality. Everything is there to be light, fast and strong. The shape is very sleek. It's so narrow, that it actually fits me. Getting in even was a bit of a struggle for me. Practice naturally takes away those entry difficulties. When it comes to build quality, nothing comes close. Some of the competition might be very good, this is on a whole different level. The speed potential is too. Things like: '54kph at 200W' are utterly impressive. It also gives me the impression that cornering should be good too. Open wheel arches, a low centre of gravity and side stick steering, should be fun to ride eh. The weight of all this is less than 18kg. Even with things that I see as necessary for a velomobile, it should be sub 20kg.

Because the one at Spezi had no: indicators, headlight, tail light, rear suspension, inside chain covers and granny gear. All that is, if I remember correctly, available as an option. You should add that to the €11.000 price tag. (edit 2011-05-10: I just learned that there also a €7000,- (glasfibre?) version possible)More 'bad news' is that it has very limited front suspension movement. To be honest, I don't know how it behaves on real Dutch road.

Concluding I'd say that this beauty can't replace my Mango R.E. Jenease. It would involve a complete change in riding behaviour, moving to Germany would help. Would I like it? Yes, sure, it wickedly fast, should handle great and looks fantastic. As a 2nd velomobile perhaps? In reality though, there is no such thing for me as choosing between these two. Both are completely different, like apples and oranges. And 11k, is a bit of of my price range. A poster would be nice, but a test ride would be fine too ;-)

If you want to know more, follow the velomobile forum.

3 comments:

  1. A great review. I love the comment "It would involve a complete change in riding behaviour, moving to Germany would help"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Duncan.

    But let there be no misunderstanding that I absolutely adore the K. I just have strong doubts about it usability around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does ride very nicely, It accelerates like I don't know what (but then again I'd just got out of a loaded Quest weighing about 50kg into this thing with no luggage). The ~5km test loop I took it around was pritty much all smooth german tarmac although I did purposefully ride over the few bumps I could ride to see how it felt, it did feel more rough than the Quest due to lack of suspention. I had to put a folded up camping mat on the seat to reach the pedals as it's not adjustable and was about 80mm too long for me. The steering would take some getting used to, it felt very quick to me but I suspect it would be ok with time.

    ReplyDelete