blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

Loading...

29 Jun 2011

My Cycle Vision 2011 (part 2, Evo K)

Let the writing continue. After nearly a month without a new post, today you get 2!

Sunday morning, it's still wet. Not raining, but wet. It'll take 'till 11 for the track to dry. After breakfast, it's time for the first start of the day, the single fast lap. After Saturdays experience with the 200m, I decided to be there early. Let's not go in to what further happened. I did a reasonable lap, avg. 42kph, and they continued to do fast laps past 11. Wrong timing again... What the heck, I could now enjoy the weather and so on.

I checked out the Cruzbike Silvio. Nice machine, probably rides good too. It felt just as easy as my Q451. Sadly though, brakes and derailleurs weren't adjusted correctly. So I didn't have the chance to do a proper little test ride. (on the left, a Gaucho 28)

There was a second 'must ride' on my list, das Evo K. For that I had to speak German. I walked to Daniel's van and ask if he had a K available. There was one parked beside the building, but I needed shoes with Look pedal compatibility. He had a pair, his. With a big smile on my face I walked back to the K. People where frowning a bit when I rolled it to the 400m oval. I swapped shoes, climbed in, looked around and set of. Better said, I took of. First gear get's you up to 35kph effortless, but it's not too long. You reach that speed in an instant.

I was laughing out loud, this thing is wickedly fast! Two laps around the oval, doin' 40 as if it was nothing. The track obviously was to small for me. I manoeuvred to the long road in front of the main building. Steering felt good, responsive and stable, also at higher speeds. As soon as I had clear road in front of me, a second burst of acceleration followed. 50 was reached as if it has an electric assist. Since this was not my VM, and we knew each other for just a single kilometre, I decided that 52 was fast enough. That felt though, like I could maintain it for quite some time.

I coasted (noisy rear clickityclack freewheel), braked (no brake steer) and made a 1 point u-turn. It's turning radius is small enough. 'Panzerlenkung' is a good thing, this VM handles so nice. Again, I launched myself and the K for a run back to the main building, again reaching 50. With only a centimetre or so of suspension on the front, the last bit of bad road asked for a much, much lower pace. I brought the shoes back to Daniel and told him my experiences. This 3km did result in wanting a longer test ride, to see if it is any good on Dutch roads.

By now it was time to eat and prepare for the 3 hour race.

1 comment:

  1. Also the joystick-steering of this bike seems superior to me. And what a relief to get in without the old-fashioned trunk in the middle it must offer!

    ReplyDelete