blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

Loading...

29 Sep 2011

Race Groningen 2011

I know people. And those people now other people. Most often we've all got something to do with recumbents. And that's why I was riding a Vendetta through Vries, 10km from home, at 11:30 in the morning, when I saw Q89 appear in my mirror. At that moment, I had 30km experience with this bike I get to borrow for a while.

The Q89 velonaut and me where on our way to Groningen to take part in a race, part of the Dutch Recumbent Competition. Besides us two, there where 23 others to race with/against. Rob was also there, together with Lee. It was good to hear that Rob also ordered an Evo-K. Now I know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's a fine VM. Even better is that he can compare it with his Q and Glyde experience. His will be ready in May 2012, mine within a few weeks. (next week would be very much appreciated)

The 1 mile long track is pretty smooth, except for the 2nd corner. Tree roots have damaged the asphalt in that corner and that's very unpleasant on a stiff and fast 'bent. It even slowed me down. But, even with this slower section in the track, I did quite well in the 45 minute criterium. With each lap I felt quicker. And together with Piet on his Rowing Bike, I had a fun race. Your faster when you've got someone to ride with. And that obviously contributed to a nice average of 41.8kph. In a field filled with velomobiles and tail faired low racers, I finished 16th. If you saw us finish, you'd say I'd classified as 17th. But my transponder was on my front fork, and Piet's transponder was on his rear fork...

The time trial over one lap started promising. Despite the lack of experience with the V, I started the lap with 55kph and took the first corner at 47. The rest of the lap felt alright too, but again, the bumpy 2nd corner cost time. That said, the bike is very nice when the road surface is smooth and the perfect drive train is very much noticeable. One lap of 1610 metre was ridden by me with an avg of just over 45kph.

The day in Groningen always ends with a relay race. Our team of 4 'youngsters' became 3th. Since I was the 1st to start, I had a chance to film some of the relay action.

The podium of the competition that consist out of this race and the one in Rütenbrock had a surprise for me, I was on it, in 3th position. At the end of the day, a group of 4 riders rode back to Assen. A Strada, a Quest, a Mango and me on the Vendetta. The Q still had another 45km or so to go after Assen. The weather was excellent all day and I had a good 1st ride on the V.

Robert made good photos.  Better than mine.


1 comment:

  1. Nice! Maybe you should do a youtube video for the Vendetta like the one you did for the Quest.

    ReplyDelete