blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

9 Oct 2011

Vendetta

Today was cold and windy. I have a bit of a cold and spit out stuff when I ride. It drizzled on the 2nd half of my ride. Conditions and excuses enough to complain about a lack of speed. But today's ride of 32km, went in just over an hour and I my max was 57kph.

I'm used to riding 'bents with suspension. And my opinion is that a touring and commuter bikes need some short of shock absorption. (rack and fender advised too) You can even benefit from suspension on a less than perfect race track. It's one of the things that makes my Fuego so good. But when you're out for the simple reason to go fast, you know where the smoother roads are. You can often skip most of the brick roads.

The Vendetta has no suspension. It's light en very stiff. With the 23mm tires at 8 bar and a 62kg rider, going much faster than 30kph on a brick road is not pleasant. But hey, that's only to get out of town. Because when there is room and a road/cycle path to gallop, this 'bent is a joy to ride. At cruising speed, the combination me&Vendetta is only a tiny little bit slower than I was with my Mango. Yes, a VM adds a lot of practicality, but this is only about speed now.

Last Tuesday I had 60km ride on my borrowed prototype. It's perhaps a kilogram heavier than the production version. The wheelbase is quite some shorter too. That might explain why it can feel a bit jumpy on short bumps. The rider position as much more aero than what my Q451 offers, handling however, is quite easy. A dry winter is very welcome. That will ensure I can make many more fast rides on this fine machine.

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Silvio which does have suspension?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen it once, at Cycle Vision 2011. It's obviously slower than the V, but the suspension is very welcome at some roads and bumps. That said, I already a very nice truly alround, full suspension recumbent, my Pioneer. Not that fast, but good it is. I like turn-key touring 'bents. But a pure racer is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The headrest looks different from the ones on the V at cruzbike.com. Is that you own modification? Would 25mm or 622x28c tires be better? Nice blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ak-tux: Like the rest of the bike, the head rest also is a prototype. The whole bike is slightly different.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete