blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

Loading...

26 Nov 2012

1 year of Evo K

 7700km of joy and refining. In a years time I've:
  • mounted softer springs, big improvement for feather weight me.
  • added chain tube, less noice and no oil on luggage
  • added lights
  • added some foam, way less noise
  • more small, easy and cheap things

All these small modifications have hugely improved the joy of riding and did not interfere with the astonishing speed potential of the K. Apart from the home made rain cover, the K now is practical and comfortable.

My 1st ride was the longest, 260km. And it won't be long before I improve that record. Flat land no wind speed record is 72kph, without the head fairing. My typical cruising speed is around 40kph. That is what my local infrastructure, condition and save riding style permit. I reckon that on a good track, with proper preparation, 60kph for an hour is possible for me. And I can carry all my camping gear to the event with that same K.

I think that the answers to most possible questions I can think of can be found using the search function on this blog. If not, post a comment!

Added 12-11-28:

I've now adjusted the tracking of the K under load. That makes a +1mm difference. I wanted to change the 1 tracking rod to a 2 track rod system, but there's no room for that. Anyway, the front wheels wheels are aligned now. And I gained more speed by clipping on fabric wheel covers on the inside of the front wheels. The rear wheel already had received the old covers from the rear wheel of my Fuego. Wheel covers at the back also keep more dirt away from the chain. Though I must say that after nearly 8000km, that chain looks remarkably clean. And I've never cleaned it.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, I enjoy riding the K more than my previous velos. The speed and lightness work so well. If only the niggles are addressed at the factory rather than us all having to work them out she could be the perfect purchase.
    How far did you get investigating the front air springs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @rob: First I must say fully agree with you, also about the niggles. (a new word to me, thanks for that)

    About the air suspension. I once, only once, send an e-mail, and never got a response. Now that I ride with 'soft'springs (and a hard spring too, there are 2 springs in each strut) the urge to improve the suspension has gone away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter,

    First of all, congrats on one year of Evo K! I really admire you being the Evo-K pioneer in the Netherlands :-)

    I'd like to hear what your favorite tires are for your Evo K, front as well as rear, and why.

    Thanks and cheers,
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Pjotr,
    I found your 5684km article, you wrote "On several spots, mostly on or around the chain tubes, I added some thin foam".
    Could you post some pictures?
    Thank you!
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Marc
    Thanks! Though I've only changed small things, it takes alot of time to figure those out.

    At the front Duranos. Enough grip, speed and puncture resistance. Affordable too. Toughs are much faster, but are garuanteed to suffer a puncture in moist conditions.
    At the back a 35mm Durano with Kevlar liner.

    @Dooxie
    I'll make some photos tomorrow. The foam is there where the chain tube might bump against the chassis. It's the sort of foam you can use to seal an old window.

    ReplyDelete